Skip to main content

poetry celebrates our anniversary


 -- Quote of the Day -- 



"Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life. "

~ Jesse Lee Bennett



  -- Poetry --

Today I'd like to share an excerpt from my first book of poetry: Towards Understanding... which includes poems written between the time period of 1987 and 2002. These poems were selected to reflect my unending, immense love and appreciation for my husband - Dave. We're celebrating our 24'th anniversary tomorrow (July 19th). 

I Love You That Much

Can you hear the fan blowing
Trying in vain to cool
On this hot summer day?
Holding you close, so strong
Feels as though nothing 
Will ever go wrong. 
I part the hairs on your chest, 
just to feel them curl around my finger
Like a chick cuddled in her nest.
Your eyes bathe me in their embrace.
And it feels so good for it to be this way;
New and exciting yet tame,
Knowing that it is here to stay.
I have felt so inadequate,
Yet you seem to be fulfilled.
I only hope I can fill your needs - 
I love you that much.

This next excerpted poem from the same book was written earlier upon feeling the enormity of the potential of this relationship, feeling vulnerable and scared, yet willing to plunge in anyway...

Love Of A Many face

Love of a many face,
I shy from your disgrace.
Love of a many hill,
I won't let go of my will.
Tumbling, falling,
Just tired of stalling.
Can't let it fade away,
Yet won't allow myself to beg.
My heart means so much more...
Yes - I step harder than before.
Why jump blinded, headfirst,
Into the never ending thirst?
Slowly, I watch and sigh.
Silently, I smother my cries.
Trying to hold onto what - I don't know.
But never - no never - let it show. 
My eyes see danger up ahead.
Threatening to leave my heart stone dead.
Tonight, I caress my greatest fear.
To love you always, and hold you near. 



Towards Understanding



   Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, their radio program, blog, and more at: http://brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, clicking those social networking buttons, or visiting the Brummet's Store - and help raise funds for charity as well!
 


Comments