Skip to main content

Poetry



-- Poetry -- 

Occasionally I like to share excerpted poetry from one of our published poetry books... today I'll be sharing from Rhythm and Rhyme. The first poem was one I had read during a recent interview so I thought it would be interesting to share the written words here...


Wings on a Breeze

I dream of feathers;
Ruffled and rippling
By the force of the wind,
…Sounds like laundry on a line,
Swept by a brisk breeze.

I’m Alive…
And I lament a life
Of bitter resentment,
The terrible need for approval –
Now faded with her death,
Leaves this mind weighted down
By thoughts of sacrifice
And loss.

A regret that childhood
Dared me the strength to support
While circumstances struck,
And struck and struck again.
Taking bits and pieces of her joy
Her trust… her strength.
And with her soured look on life
I grew
Into a woman…
- And her friend.

She no longer fights the wind
To stay afloat and fly
To that special castle in the sky
Today she soars without bruised wings,
Nor battered body to hinder her.

While I,
Now in mid-life,
I, who never knew wings,
Have sprouted a pair.
So small, so awkward…
Will they enable me to fly one day?
And try my own flight with the wind?

* This powerfully emotional piece was written within moments of a strange dream I had back in March ’11; only wisps of dream memory remained as I wrote this down in an attempt to capture the remaining strands on paper. Mom often used the phrase “building your castle in the sky”, meaning to always dream and have hope.


Lustrous Moon


How many millions of
Pairs of eyes
Glancing up
Become mesmerized
And could not tear
Their eyes away
From you?

For just that moment
While private thoughts
Flit in their minds
And like mine,
Flashing imagery
Of days long past
And out of view.

All in that moment
When millions of eyes
Just happen to glance up
And in that one moment
Become mesmerized by
Your glowing face that cries
“Tomorrow is brand new”.


* On this amazing August ’11 evening there was a stunning night sky display that inspired awe - I tried to capture that feeling here.


 
Find this book at: http://brummet.ca/store.html

Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, their radio program, blog, and more at: http://brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, clicking those social networking buttons, or visiting the Brummet's Store - and help raise funds for charity as well!

Comments